Violence Against Women and Girls
Facts and Figures
According to Nepal Demographic and Health Survey 2011
- Among women age 15-49, 22 percent had experienced physical violence and 12 percent had experienced sexual violence at least once since age 15.
- Among married women, one-third had experienced emotional, physical, or sexual violence from their spouse in their marital relationship, and 17 percent had experienced it within the last 12 months.
- Among those women who had experienced physical and sexual violence in their marriage, 37 percent had cuts, bruises, or aches, eye injuries, sprains, dislocations or burns, deep wounds, broken bones, broken teeth, and other serious injuries
- Suicide is the third most common cause of death in pregnancy. Suicide among married women with children was found to be common and associated with alcohol and violence.
- Nearly one-half of Nepalese women have experienced violence at some point in their lives, and three-quarters of the perpetrators were intimate partners, including husbands.
- Women with more children experienced more violence than women with fewer children, and the majority of the violence started within a year of marriage.
- Spousal violence was reported more in Terai than in Hill and Mountain zones and more among uneducated women and women in the lowest wealth quintile.
- Nearly two in three women have never told anyone about the violence they have experienced.
- 85 per cent of women aged between 15 and 49 years who have experienced sexual violence have never told anyone, while eight per cent have told someone, and only seven per cent have sought help.
- Meanwhile, sixty-six per cent of women aged between 15 and 49 years who have experienced physical violence have never told anyone, while 12 per cent have told some, and 22 per cent have sought help.
- According to a survey by Himalayan Rights Monitor(HimRights)/Partnership for Protection of Children in Armed Conflict (PPCC) in seven Terai Districts of Nepal,
- Among the girls aged 13-18 years, 66% girls were unaware about the sexual violence while 34% have heard about it.
- Girls who have faced sexual violence accounts for 9.8%. The other forms of violence faced are verbal abuse (36.3%), physical violence (26.9%) and emotional violence (3%)
- While 10.7 percent of the school-going girls experienced sexual violence, the rate for out of school girls is 6.3 percent.